4 August 2011

When you least expect it




Ok, I do not share a great deal about my personal life on this blog, but a very welcome surprise just happened to me and I just HAVE to tell SOMEONE. (The boyfriend is still at work).

You know how people always say that nice things happen to you when you least expect them to?  Well, I always desperately WANTED to believe that, especially because the past three years have been quite difficult for me. All I have been trying to do is piece my life back together after having been diagnosed with a chronic illness, trying to find a way to still earn a living. At times I worry that I'm trying too hard to 'create' my own life and luck? In the blogging world, I've found lots of warmth and encouragement and beautiful people, but in 'real' life? Not so much.

 The past few months  I've had some knock-backs.  One thing that made me really really sad was when the fashion mag I wanted to intern at turned me down. One of my secret dreams has always been to be a fashion journalist and when they turned me down, it knocked my confidence quite a bit.  

So, today the sun is shining and I think to myself: why not just go outside for a walk and soak up some sunshine? I slip into one of the vintage dresses I got at the Oxfam Boutique I volunteer at, add some huge vintage sunglasses and step outside.  I feel slightly 'off' because I didn't wash my hair.  (I know, very adolescent of me to worry about that :-))  

As I turn a corner, two women come up to me. They are smiling at me.  I think: Do I know them?  Are they ex-students of mine?  And then the blonde one says: "Hi, we work for Marie-Claire magazine and we're doing a style profile on Antwerp.  We love your look. Would you mind if we took your picture?"

The first thing I think is: oh, no! MY HAIR!!!! :-)  but I say: Really? Can I keep my sunglasses on?  (I feel awkward having my picture taken, but the big sunglasses are great for hiding behind.)

So, they took my picture! It will be appearing in the October issue! YAY!  My own Sartorialist moment!!  I feel silly being so happy about it, but there it is! I AM! When the issue is out in the shops, I'll get it scanned and post it here and then we can laugh about the pigeon-toe pose I tried.

p.s.  I couldn't help but think: wouldn't it have been great if they had worked for the mag that turned me down? :-)

p.p.s.  I was so flustered that I forgot to mention I have a blog!  


8 comments :

erleichda said...

yjats realy cool Ellen! i am glad you are glad about it ! looking forward to see the picture : )

Carole Reid said...

Wow, that's very cool! May I suggest you write a thank you to them when the magazine comes out and send your blog address with it! Maybe that will lead to something exciting!

chasing lightning bugs said...

that is so wonderful!!! i have little butterflies in my tummy for you. and i agree with carole, get your site to them somehow.
and thanks for all your lovely comments today at my blog. i can use the love today. i'm feeling a little defeated, which doesn't happen often to me.

Anonymous said...

Cooooool!!! Love your blog btw ;)

E. said...

@ Demie: thank you! :-)

@ Carole: thanks for the tip! I'd never thought of it myself - I tend to be rather un-assertive at times! :-)

@ Chasing lightnig bugs: big hug; Feeling like that happens to all of us! Hope you'll feel better soon.

@ Anonymous: Thanks! Happy you like the blog! Feel free to become a follower :-)

Vibeke said...

so fun!!:)
GLAD you shared it with us, looking forward to see the picture also.

xx
v

agnes szucs said...

:) :) this is very good, congrats, Ellen... I'm curious about it.
I'm sure I would have been very excited, too. :)

hugs,
agnes

jokemijn said...

oh superleuk! ik zou ook eerst aan mijn looks twijfelen, maar je zag er vast heerlijk uit! En de moed niet opgeven nadat je een keer afgewezen bent. Solliciteren, gewoon het hele werkwereldje is een harde wereld. Misschien bestaat er wel een online fashion magazine waar je een bijdrage aan kan leveren? Je schrijft trouwens ook heel fijn.

ShareThis

UA-40910455-1