29 September 2011

Summer




We had made a deal, Summer and I. I'd begged her to stay for a while in July and August, but she would only show me a flash of a smile, a ray of warmth and she'd be gone again. To Italy, France. Or Morocco.  So I promised I'd give her something to come back for. My turning forty didn't impress her much. She needed more. A token of my appreciation. A sacrifice. So I vowed I'd quit smoking and she whispered she'd make a comeback for a week or so. 

  We both stuck to our promises. With her, she's brought the delight of ripe figs paired with walnuts. Easy breezy afternoons at the nearby café. A feeling I'm about to burst with happiness. I don't even miss the cigarettes that much.  But that's a lie.




6 comments :

erleichda said...

figs...i lvoe figs. one never find a good tasty one here in Norway... and i also love hands ( your last post is simply great!) i still remember my grandmas hands after 25 years...

agnes szucs said...

what a great deal! good for everyone.

i love figs, too! :) :)

love,
agnes
:)

Carole Reid said...

Figs and walnuts and enough happiness to burst seems a great trade off! Good for you.

chasing lightning bugs said...

oh i love the whispering sensuality in this post. i love the lilt of your writing.

Anonymous said...

so that's the reason summer is back! Don't you dare start smoking again!!! I like this weather ;-)

Congrats on the new coffee table!

E. said...

@ all: figs are so amazing, aren't they! Wish I could share them with you all.

@ Chasing lightning bugs: thank you for the lovely compliment about my writing. I always feel shy about exposing it to other people's eyes.

@ Lisa: I'll try to be a good girl! :-)

x E.

ShareThis

UA-40910455-1